11 August 2013

Collecting Family Memories

Who you are at home is who you really are.

The home is where, when all your masks are down, your true colors show. So if you are very gentle, kind, and thoughtful to your friends, but rough, rude, and inconsiderate to your parents and sibs, alam na. You are who you are to them.

I think it was my boss who said this: "When you go home, remind yourself that you are meeting the most important people in your life." In other words, we've got to save our best attitude for our family members.

Next to God, they are my priority. Since I really did not have a deep relationship with them to start with, I'm down to step one. Build relationship.

Building relationship with our family requires investment in time, energy, emotions, and money.
For me, this meant: revamping my schedule, choosing family time above everything else, cutting down on activities so I can be available and able when they need me, giving gifts, treating them special, watching my words and actions, expressing how much I love them, asking for forgiveness when I cause them pain, spending time individually, and praying for them.

Just recently, God impressed in my heart to take my whole family out to celebrate and share my joy over my pf bonus and raise. While praying for the meal, God said to me in His still, small voice: "You sure enjoy this, huh? Why not do it every Sunday? Ikaw taya."

Ako taya! If you just know how mindful I am with the use of my money, hahaha. I am one who keeps receipts and takes note of every expense.

Let's do the Math, Lord. We're six in the family and I have three barako brothers...

I stopped there. God reminded me that I can never out-give Him.
And since this investment is an eternal one, it will have a lasting impact.

Our very first, at Greenwich
Chowking, my attempt to cut down the cost, hehe
Hainanese Delights, unli-rice!!
Tapsi ni Vivian during Fathers' Day
Karate Kid, unli-rice!!
Shakey's, find the hidden Mickey :)
The Bacolod Chicken Band
Bacolod Chicken, unli-rice, wala silang choice!
It's been three months since we first did this.
God is faithful and generous. When He tells me to do something, He surely provides for it!

Our Sunday Night Out (SNO) is something my family and I look forward to every weekend. 
No agenda. Just eat and talk and laugh. The sky is the limit. 

And they all know the rule: we go where the unli-rice is.


No comments:

Post a Comment